Monday, May 12, 2008

Petey and the Hot Sauce

First off, since Petey has come to live with me, roughly a month ago, he has gained 2 lbs which is A LOT for such a little guy. It is possible that I weighed him wrong at first but he's 14 lbs now, which I think is perfect, but I just need to be sure it doesn't teeter too far over that. At first I was scared that with all our hikes and exercise he'd waste away, so I was pretty liberal with the kibble and treats. Clearly, this is not going to be an issue, so I'm adjusting his feeding situation a bit.

Also, I've been trying to get him to eat when I put out his food. He has a habit of ignoring it for a couple of hours. His trainer said, put the food down and if he doesn't eat it in 20 minutes, then take it up, which is what I did last night. Then at 8 PM he went over and looked at his empty food dish and then up at me as if to say, "Mummy, why is there no kibble for your little doggy?" So of course, I gave him food. I'm a push over. Tonight we get tough, missing a couple meals while he learns won't hurt him, but I'll probably keep weighing him regularly to be sure.

And finally, perhaps the reason he's not particularly hungry at meal time is that he's been eating his poops. I've tried everything, zucchini, stuff from PetCo, watching him, but I can't catch it all the time. So this morning, after he did his business I drenched it with hot sauce. He came back later looking for a snack and took a couple of licks and started snorting and rubbing his face in the grass. He came back and tested another piece, same effect. I'm also going to try feeding him a little pineapple, I hear that helps.

No comments: