Monday, December 8, 2008

Cullinary Delights

I've been exercising my culinary skills lately. Saturday night I made chicken tikka masala in the crockpot with some bottled sauce. All I did was cube up some chicken, pour on the sauce, crockpot it for 4 hours on high, serve with a salad and a wild and brown rice mix. Darryl was very impressed and it was EASY, no one would have guessed I'd made it in a crockpot.

Sunday I made a fabulous discovery, while Darryl was silently judging me for attempting to buy aborio rice at the local Super Walmart (note that he had no idea what the stuff was before Sunday) I came across barramundi filets in the frozen fish section. Barramundi was a fish I discovered in Australia. I think I ate my body weight in it, it was ubiquitous, despite my widespread travels throughout the country. Since my return, I've searched for it all over and never found it served at any restaurant or sold in any supermarket (including Central Market and Whole Foods). To add to my joy, the barramundi filets were precut into 4 oz portions and individually vacuum sealed. Plus the price wasn't too terrible, $4.50 for 3/4 of a pound (so Super Walmart has crazy imported Australian fish and NO aborio rice, wtf?).

I basted it in cajun sauce, Darryl thought it was a little fishy for his taste, but he said he'd eat it again. You bet your hiney he will :). I served the fish with a side salad and baked acorn squash I got from a roadside stand and stuffed it with a saffron risotto with parmesan and sauteed garlic.


Tomorrow night I'm making individual chicken pot pies from Cooking Light with a puff pastry crust. Wednesday I'm hosting a dinner party. Here's the menu:



  • Margaritas

  • Mushroom hoers derv's stuffed with Gorgonzola

  • Penne with shrimp and herb cream sauce

  • A green veggie, still deciding

  • Pizzelle gelato sandwiches or perhaps tiny gelato cones depending on how the pizzelle making goes


2 comments:

Jenny.Lee said...

Which bottled sauce did you use for the Tikka Masala?

fu said...

you're so domestic. we expected more from you.