Thursday, December 4, 2008

VS Fashion Show and Fondue


I kind of live for the VS Fashion show every December. I typically curl up with some Godiva hot chocolate with peppermint schnapps and watch it in HD on Darryl's projector so the models are practically life sized. This year is a little different. D's projector is no more, but I still had a nice sized flat screen and my doggies to curl up with. I feel like the show this year was disappointing. Not as much color, no Giselle (yes she's been gone a while, but I miss her) and no Tyra. I can't stand Heidi Klum so I mostly fast forwarded through her parts. Even the million dolallar bra was a yawn.

Here is Ginger doing her best impression of a mink stole....
For dinner I made us a Coq au Vin broth fondue, something that Darryl did not enjoy, but I though it was a genius diet move and I got to use our new fondue pot! You're basically feeding yourself boiled meat and fish, but disguising it as a fun French meal. Plus it forces you to eat s l o w l y. I carefully selected a few sauces and measured them out so we wouldn't be eating too many calories. Here's what I did:

  • 1 small sirloin steak, cubed and marinated in teriyaki sauce
  • .75 lbs of pink Key West shrimp, peeled and deveined and lightly sprinkled with Cajun seasoning
  • veggies including cauliflower, broccoli, squash, and mushrooms
  • sauces including BBQ, teriyaki, peanut satay, and green goddess

My broth consisted of some lightly sauteed garlic (3 cloves), plus beef broth, red wine, and a package of dried wild mushrooms which I brought to a boil and then allowed to simmer for 15 minutes before serving. I will admit I kind of wished it was cheese fondue, but it did our bodies good.

My next meal aspiration is to attempt chicken tikka masala in my crockpot. I bought a jar of the tikka masala sauce at Central Market while doing my fondue shopping, but am contemplating its fat and calories. I'm thinking of serving it over brown rice (carefully measuring out the sauce so I don't drown it in extra calories) plus a side of curried green beans? What do you think? Diet friendly?

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

If you are scared of the nutrition facts on your pre fab sauce, you can make your own. I did it once and it turned out nicely... I'll dig up the recipe and email it to you. But I say dont fear the sauce you bought... the key is moderation.

Kate said...

oooo i loooooove tikka masala! i bought some at CM as well (patels, maybe?) i cut back on the fat/calories, I cooked the chicken in it so it soaked up all the flavor and then fished the chicken bits out and served it over rice. So wasn't dripping in sauce (like i like it indian restaurants) but it was remniscent of tikka masala!