Monday, January 26, 2009

Sushi Recap


Let me preface this post with the fact that I ate so much sushi last night I actually had some sort of cracked out dreams about it. I've never been on an acid trip, but I think that I got the gist last night.
I dreamt that sushi rolls were talking to me and turning against me and I was talking to them through my watch and mocking them as I ate them. Then they melted into the carpet and became writing all over it. I started screaming bloody murder for my mom to come look at it because I was afraid to look away lest it disappear and I be crazy. She came in and confirmed it and I wrote it all down and it was the answer on how to rescue all the people off the island in Lost.
I'm now very concerned I have some sort of sushi induced parasite in my brain, which is apparently not unrealistic given the amount of warnings we were given last night. I think in the interest of safety, sushi is best left to a reputable restaurant. I think when I make it at home I would prefer to do 75% cooked to 25% raw. They also spent a lot of time telling us what establishments were reputable to buy sushi grade fish from (there are only 2) and how to properly select your fish as well as etiquette and history and all that jazz. It was super easy and I think D and I are going to make it at home all. the. time. I just have to get a rice cooker and a few ingredients.
First we had a tostada with guacamole on it, topped with some raw tuna and a slice of jalapeno (which I'm sure I'll be making at my next dinner party, btw). Then we had a half an avocado stuffed with cheesy gooey sauce and bay scallops, shrimp, and crab, cooked under a broiler. We had something similar at Uchi and LOVED it.
Next we made a bunch of rolls that all kind of blur together, but we learned how to make fat rolls, skinny rolls, rolls with rice on the outside and on the inside, rolls with fish on the rice on the outside, and some nigiri. We also learned how to make hand rolls and I figured out why I never like them in restaurants. Mine was pretty tasty, I think I'll only eat them now if they're homemade.
I HIGHLY recommend the Sushi 101 class at Central Market, I haven't priced out sushi grade fish much, but you need so little of it, it will surely be more economical than eating out. I hope to develop some recipes and have some friends over soon for a sushi night!
We're super excited, I'm going to start purchasing equipment so we can make as sushi Valentine's Day extravaganza!

6 comments:

Jenny.Lee said...

I have that exact rice cooker at home. ;)

Kristen said...

So, I'm kind-of interested in taking that class now. I'm picky about the seafood I like though... They don't MAKE you eat weird stuff do they? Like, I'd be pretty content just making rolls with raw tuna and smoked salmon and never having to touch any shellfish. Do you get to pick your own ingredients?

Elizabeth said...

I will totally drive to Austin to feast on Sushi! Miss you!

Jill said...

so i've never had any desire to eat sushi.

until now.

you make it sound soooo good!! knottie get-together at your place? you cook sushi?

amelia said...

sounds awesome! how fun! let me know how the attempts at home turn out! we love sushi, but not the usual price...

also, my gym is pure austin fitness (at the quarry lake location)

hiero said...

should totally get the cooker that i got, the new tech is induction heat and this thing is freakin awesome! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16896128014

oddly enough, it was way cheaper when i bought it a few months ago...