Monday, July 6, 2009

Food Angst

After reading my friend Elizabeth's post at The Waspy Redhead I was reminded of how once upon a time I used to cook fabulous Sunday night meals (or while I was briefly between jobs, Wednesday night dinner parties, complete with cocktails and hors d'oeuvres). I would cook things I saw online, or on cooking shows or in Cooking Light. I was a good cook.

Now, it seems like the only thing I cook is from Hungry Girl or WW. Don't get me wrong, these are great resources, but I miss cooking real food. Food that Darryl enthusiastically consumes rather than tolerates. I've lost a lot of weight and I want to keep it that way. I've been back in the gym with my trainer, I work out 5x a week, I feel like I have no time to fit in more workouts, I'm at maximum capacity. In theory I could still make one of these naughty meals (even Cooking Light's meals are WAY to high in points) once a week to help me get out my ya yas, but there are other places I'm allowing myself to indulge, like at baby showers (crammed a cupcake into my face, plus an extra generous serving of 7 layer dip and sherbet punch) or on a friend's boat (downed half a bag of potato chips) or out to eat with friends (refried beans...made with lard), so frankly, I have to keep it under pretty tight control when I eat at home.

Ugh.

3 comments:

Kristen said...

I did some major damage on the 4th. We're talking 8 straight hours of grazing at a table full of smoked ribs and pork shoulder, chips and salsa, berry cheesecake, cornbread, and much, much more. It was a bad day for my posterior.

The Waspy Redhead said...

Thanks for the plug, can you tell I've fallen off the diet wagon a bit? I'm still working out hard, and still losing weight - but just like you, I missed making real food. With grad school 2 nights a week, I rarely get to cook during the week, so when I do, I go full out. I'm just trying to keep portions small. And I make sure to give away all my baked goods

Jenny.Lee said...

I find this to be a big issue having kids. While I don't want them to eat a bunch of junk I don't necessarily want them downing diet bars either.