Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Steak Dinner



Okay, I know this photo isn't super convincing of how yummy this recipe is, but I'm trying to learn about food presentation. I need to learn to serve food so it doesn't look like barf on a plate, but it's better than it looks. I was inspired by a Giada De Laurentis recipe, but here is my healthier version.

2 petite fillets of beef (4-6 oz)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup sliced baby bella mushrooms (aka crimini mushrooms)
1 sliced shallot
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/8 cup dry white wine
3 pieces Laughing Cow Swiss
1/4 cup fat free mayo
1/2 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Sprinkle both sides of the beef with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in an oven-safe medium skillet over high heat. When the oil is hot, carefully place the filets in the pan. Cook until browned on both sides, about 3 to 4 minutes a side. Transfer the steak to the oven and bake until a meat thermometer reads 130 degrees F. for medium-rare, about 5 to 6 minutes. Remove the beef from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes.

Heat one tablespoon olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and the shallots and cook until golden brown and tender, about 5 minutes. Add the thyme, white wine, salt, and pepper and continue to cook until all of the liquid has evaporated, about 5 more minutes.
Add the cheese, mayonnaise, and mustard into the pan. Gently stir the cheese mixture into the mushroom mixture. Slice the beef and serve topped with a dollop of the cheese sauce. Reserve leftover sauce for another use. Serves 2.

So it's not the healthiest thing in the world, but this little piece of heaven with the decadent sauce clocks in at 12 pts, but I don't think I ate a full 12 pts, I didn't finish all the sauce and had some left over, so maybe it's not quite as bad as that? Just can't eat it every night.

3 comments:

Miss M! said...

Healthy or not, that sounds REALLY good!

Kristen said...

I think it's hilarious that you make filet minon when Darryl's away. I eat things like hummus and stir-fried vegetables when Victor's gone because then I don't feel guilty for not making a "real" meal.

hiero said...

hey, next time I'm in Austin, let's cook together, I'm all about presentation, so I think we can work together on it. You know, for some reason mint leaves are totally out of stock everywhere...