Monday, August 17, 2009

Spagetti Squash with Meat Sauce

I took this recipe from Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes and basically bastardized it with all kinds of crap in my fridge and pantry that I was trying to use up. Here's Gina's stats. After I was done with it, there was no telling, but I estimate 5 pts per serving since I mostly added mushrooms and they don't really have points:

Servings: 6 • Size: 8.75 oz sauce • Time: 1 hour • Points: 4.6 ww points

The squash before I scooped out the seeds.

Ingredients
1 large spaghetti squash
Salt and pepper
Meat sauce recipe:
1 lb 95% lean beef
1 tsp butter
1 tsp olive oil
(4 oz) 1/2 onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, peeled and chopped
1 celery stalk, finely chopped
16 lbs sliced mushrooms
1 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes (I had none, so I used the same quantity of tomato sauce)
1/4 cup white wine
1 bay leaf

oregano (no idea how much)

thyme (threw in about half as much as the oregano)
Salt and fresh pepper


Cooking up veggies and meat

Preheat oven to 400º. Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds and membrane. Season with salt and bake 1 hour on a baking sheet, cut side up.

In a large deep sauté pan, melt butter and add oil. Add onions, celery, mushrooms, and carrots and sauté on medium-low for about 2-3 minutes, until soft. Add meat and season with salt. Brown meat and break down into smaller pieces with your spoon. When meat is cooked through, add tomato sauce and adjust salt and pepper to taste. Add wine and cook until it reduces a bit, then add bay leaf, oregano, thyme, and cover, reducing heat to low. Simmer at least an hour, stirring occasionally.When spaghetti squash is cooked, let it cool for about 10 minutes. When cool, use a fork to remove flesh, which will come out in spaghetti looking strands. Keep covered and set aside keeping warm until sauce is ready. Serve topped with meat sauce and grated cheese.
Above, the squash as I scraped it out, below, the finished product, yummy!

3 comments:

Jenny.Lee said...

Sounds great. I'll have to give this a try.

Janet said...

I love this idea, low carb option. Thanks for posting!

Kristen said...

I love spaghetti squash! It's really good with pesto.