Sunday, September 27, 2009

PG Exam


(Is it just me, or does this photo look like it's straigh out of the Fortress of Solitude?)

Ladies and gents, I have been/am going to be off the grid until Friday because I have my big PG exam on October 2nd.  For those of you who don't know what that is, it basically gives me more money and the ability to be sued for effing up a geologic interpretation.  As it is now, a licenced PG has to sign off on all my stuff.  You have to work for 5 years before you're elligable to sit for the exam and here I am.  Spent the whole weekend (and many previous Sundays) filling my brain with all things geologic.  It only has about a 65% passing rate, so I am pretty freaked but after 5 PM Friday I will be FREE!  And if I fail, I can retake again in March, but I'll probably shoot myself if that happens so please send happy vibes my way.

So to subject my loyal blog followers to a taste of the torture I've withstood over the last couple months, I give you a practive question:

Hot-water mineral alteration has occurred within a quartz porphyry dike associated with late phases of intrusion of a granitoid stock into Precambrian amphibolite. The mineral composition of the unaltered dike is: 15% quartz, 45% microcline, 30% oligoclase, 10% biotite.
From the groups of alteration products listed below, select the one most likely to have developed
within, and surrounding, the porphyry dike.


A) calcite, calcium-aluminum garnet, epidote.


B) sericite, kaolinite and montmorillonite, hematite.


C) andalusite, calcium-iron garnet, chlorite.


D) sericite, opal, andalusite, epidote.

4 comments:

william said...

good luck!

Christine said...

That question literally just made my brain hurt. Seriously. GOOD LUCK!

Jane said...

Good luck!

Jill said...

you should know that kaolinite has always been, and always will be, my favorite mineral name. and is it soft? because i think i remember thinking that in my old geology class...