So when Darryl got home from work that day, he took me out for a steak and martinis while I licked my wounds. The next morning I woke up with a knot in my stomach thinking, I have no where to go today. I should have known my life was on the right track when I considered where I used to go every day and my second thought was I HAVE NO WHERE TO GO TODAY and a big smile spread across my face as I sank back under the covers and I slept until 10 AM.
Today I am happier, healthier, and more fabulous than I could have ever imagined. Here's what changed in the last year:
- I took time to get back to the gym, I explored healthy cooking, threw fabulous weekly dinner parties, kept an immaculate household while I was between jobs.
- I wasn't really in the Christmas spirit, but it was nice to be able to run most of the holiday errands for both Darryl and I.
- I had calls for interviews within weeks and multiple job offers by the end of the month. I was reminded of just how impressive my resume was and how much I had to offer, something I'd lost touch with in my previous position.
- I settled into my new job just 6 weeks after being laid off.
- I got to enjoy a tidy little 5 weeks severance package, basically got paid to take all of December off and enjoy the holidays.
- I planned a fabulous wedding (with the help of all you bloggy gals, of course).
- I lost 20 lbs, my mother calls it my "Company X Weight", Darryl says he hasn't seen me look this good since we met (when I was 21).
- All my weight loss was due to joining WW, which was easier to attend meetings since I didn't have to travel as much in my new job.
- As a result of my success, close friends and family have joined as well and dropped lbs too!
- Since I wasn't traveling as much, I got to grow closer to many of my friends.
- Some of my friends were unemployed too, so we had fun hanging out while we looked for new jobs.
- I joined a company and came to work with some great mentors and really interesting new projects.
- I met a group of coworkers who I genuinely enjoy hanging out with, while on work trips or just after hours.
- I convinced my favorite coworker from Company X (and probably the only thing that kept me sane for so long) to defect to my new company, hopefully he's happier too.
- With my newly shaped body and newfound professional confidence, I've translated those feelings into a better sense of style, something I was sorely lacking.
So there you have it, I'm skinnier, I have a better car, a more interesting and challenging job, closer friends, am better dressed, have a healthier lifestyle and am all around a happier person. And to put a big cherry on top of all of that, I PASSED MY PG EXAM! Whoooo!
So there you go, did I think I would be here this time next year, as Darryl tucked a sniffly me into bed after too many post layoff martinis? No. But little did I know that I was about to embark on a transformation into the me I've always wanted to be!