Wednesday, December 2, 2009

525,600 Minutes

About a year ago, for the first time in my entire life, I lost my job. I don't think I've ever blogged about this before, but I was laid off as part of the economic downturn and while the news came as a tremendous ego blow, part of me felt relieved. I had been unhappy in that position for about a year but was too afraid to job hunt because of all the economic instability. I felt like it would be best to ride it out in my current position, then see where I could go.

So when Darryl got home from work that day, he took me out for a steak and martinis while I licked my wounds. The next morning I woke up with a knot in my stomach thinking, I have no where to go today. I should have known my life was on the right track when I considered where I used to go every day and my second thought was I HAVE NO WHERE TO GO TODAY and a big smile spread across my face as I sank back under the covers and I slept until 10 AM.

Today I am happier, healthier, and more fabulous than I could have ever imagined. Here's what changed in the last year:

  • I took time to get back to the gym, I explored healthy cooking, threw fabulous weekly dinner parties, kept an immaculate household while I was between jobs.
  • I wasn't really in the Christmas spirit, but it was nice to be able to run most of the holiday errands for both Darryl and I.
  • I had calls for interviews within weeks and multiple job offers by the end of the month. I was reminded of just how impressive my resume was and how much I had to offer, something I'd lost touch with in my previous position.
  • I settled into my new job just 6 weeks after being laid off.
  • I got to enjoy a tidy little 5 weeks severance package, basically got paid to take all of December off and enjoy the holidays.
  • I planned a fabulous wedding (with the help of all you bloggy gals, of course).
  • I lost 20 lbs, my mother calls it my "Company X Weight", Darryl says he hasn't seen me look this good since we met (when I was 21).
  • All my weight loss was due to joining WW, which was easier to attend meetings since I didn't have to travel as much in my new job.
  • As a result of my success, close friends and family have joined as well and dropped lbs too!
  • Since I wasn't traveling as much, I got to grow closer to many of my friends.
  • Some of my friends were unemployed too, so we had fun hanging out while we looked for new jobs.
  • I joined a company and came to work with some great mentors and really interesting new projects.
  • I met a group of coworkers who I genuinely enjoy hanging out with, while on work trips or just after hours.
  • I convinced my favorite coworker from Company X (and probably the only thing that kept me sane for so long) to defect to my new company, hopefully he's happier too.
  • With my newly shaped body and newfound professional confidence, I've translated those feelings into a better sense of style, something I was sorely lacking.

So there you have it, I'm skinnier, I have a better car, a more interesting and challenging job, closer friends, am better dressed, have a healthier lifestyle and am all around a happier person. And to put a big cherry on top of all of that, I PASSED MY PG EXAM! Whoooo!

So there you go, did I think I would be here this time next year, as Darryl tucked a sniffly me into bed after too many post layoff martinis? No. But little did I know that I was about to embark on a transformation into the me I've always wanted to be!

12 comments:

The Waspy Redhead said...

Aw friend! This made me a little teary with pride! It makes me really happy that you got this happy!

Amanda @ Bits and Pieces said...

Aww, that's so great! I'm really happy for you in the last year and congrats on passing the big exam! Happy Holidays too!

Vic said...

What an amazing year it has been for you! Congrats on having the guts to do it all. It's great that you are in such a happier place after 1 year :)

Kelly said...

Congrats on passing your test!! Sounds like you've had an awesome year.

Trish said...

Excellent timeing on this post and a true life example how things that seem so terrible can actually turn into a blessing in disguise! Kudos!

Christine said...

Kelly, All I can say is I am so happy and proud of you. I am so happy you a friend and inspiration in my life! Thanks for joining WW so I could join and get skinny too! Here is to many more wonderful years!

Emily said...

What an inspiring post! It's great to see people turn what they think is the end of the world into a very positive experience. Congrats on all your victories over the last 365.25 days!

Janet said...

Good reflection! It really is amazing how much you can accomplish in a year but also how quickly it seems to go by - congrats on all of your GREAT achievements!!

Jill said...

personally, i adore the new you! i would've never known that such a negative could've helped in this transformation, but i'm so happy for you that it did!

SJ said...

They always say, "When one door closes, two windows open."

You had such a great year! I hope 2010 is just as amazing!

d.a.r. said...

I just found your blog and oh my goodness...I am in love with it!! What an inspiring year you have had!

Glad you are so happy now :)

Jackie said...

what a great story! I'm inspired!