Sunday, January 3, 2010

Just Thoughts....

Nothing in particular to write about, mostly my random musings.  Not much to relay about my New Years Eve, while it was certainly the wildest/most eventful/most booze soaked in recent memory, those details make it simply not appropriate to detail in this forum.  I barely even have an appropriate photo to post and in order to protect the identities of the innocent, I shall refrain.  But there is not only a roll of quite incriminating photos, but a video as well.  Can you imagine?  I shall clearly never plan on running for public office based this NYE.  But I WILL say that everyone seemed to enjoy my Tiger Woods interpretation of the Vicars and Tarts theme.  I love a good costume party.

Tonight I made a variation on Cooking Light's Cheese and Shrimp Stuffed Poblanos with a side of my Spanish brown rice.  Hatefully, Cooking Light has not made that recipe available online and it's a lot of typing to transcribe from page to blog.  I'm hoping they'll post it in the near future so I can cut, paste, and edit with my improvements? 

But if you feel so inclined, pick up the Jan/Feb issue on stands now, turn to page 128 and make that shit.  Oh and add a can of lump crab (drain it).  And substitute a 2% blend of colby and monterey jack for the Chihuahua cheese (because what the heck is Chihuahua cheese?).  As we speak it is taking all of my willpower to not tear into the kitchen and devour my leftovers.  I didn't even photograph it because I thought it would turn out heinous, but Darryl, who never eats poblanos and finds them disgusting, declared it some of my best work to date and cleaned his plate.  So no worries, in the next month or so I hope to make it again and add the full recipe and photos for those people who are not religious Cooking Light readers like myself. 

Can we talk about how badly I want to go to cooking school?  Darryl and I have discussed it and for a variety of reasons it's just not practical.  But it doesn't mean I don't dream of listening to talks all day about the art of cooking.  And then spend the other half of my day actually cooking.  There are few things that I want to do every day and that is cook.  It is a relaxing creative outlet that sometimes leaves me frustrated and exhausted, but convincing my husband to eat something he normally finds disgusting based on the sheer yummyness (and did I mention relative healthyness?) is all the reward I need. 

My next two goals, to convince him to eat lobster rolls and brussel sprouts....not necissarily at the same time.  The challenge with the lobster rolls, high fat content and Darryl's aversion to mayonase.  I will attempt it with low fat greek yogurt as a substitute.  And for the brussel sprouts?  Well, I spent a good 2 hours researching lobster rolls tonight and the best way to execute them, so the sprouts will require further research.  We'll see how this goes.  On the menu for tomorrow night?  Lamb chops with a side of brown rice and my first attempt at cooking swiss chard.

4 comments:

d.a.r. said...

Ahhh I would love to go to cooking school!!

I totally convinced my husband to eat goat cheese the other day by calling it "bruschetta cheese"...a restaurant near us that we love uses goat cheese on their bruschetta and apparently he has no idea (um, read the menu?). Anyway it worked like a charm and he loved it. And then he found the package in the fridge and freaked out, haha!

Bowmanh23 said...

Thanks for the comment about Cooking Light. I will be picking up a copy today. I would also love to go to cooking school. I know eventally I will. I watched Julie and Julia the other night and I got hungry and inspired to go cook!

hiero said...

I've come up with stuffed brussel sprouts that were pretty damn good...

Anonymous said...

Just so you know, all of Cooking Light's recipes are stored on MyRecipes.com.