Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Wife Wanted, Inquire Within


Did anyone see today's Oprah, about marriage around the world? I LOVE LOVE LOVED the interview with Elizabeth Gilbert talking about the changing face of marriage in our society, how originally there were multiple wives to increase the family size or for economic reasons back in the Dark Ages. Then we entered what many consider to be the "Golden Age" of marriage, personified by the 1950's housewife. She pointed out that during this period which is so highly romanticized, 1 in 4 marriages still ended in divorce.

And she went on to talk about how when they legalized interracial marriage in the 1960's, 7 out of 10 Americans were against it and used some of the same arguments we are hearing today against gay marriage.

Finally, perhaps the point that resonated with me the most was this; women want to be married but they don't want to be wives anymore. They don't want to stay home and sacrifice for the greater good of the family. Men don't want to be wives either. And men don't want women to be wives**. So what we all need to do is get married and then get a wife.
EXACTLY. Couldn't have put it better myself. I would say that Darryl is way more attracted to the career woman side of me and would rather me continue in this way rather than Martha Stewarting out on him while staging coup to overthrow the existing PTA president. But who will raise our children, cook our meals, clean our home? We need a wife. ::cue Big Love theme song:: 

**Disclaimer: I actually think many men DO want women to be wives and cook, clean, raise children, etc and if that's what's right for you as a couple, fantastic.  I thought that's what Darryl wanted too until one day he told me what part of me he found more attractive, and it was NOT my Martha Stewart side.  Yet we don't want our kids raised in daycare.  What to do...

2 comments:

d.a.r. said...

I am so torn on the whole "I love my career and independence" and not wanting to put our future bambinos in day care. Maybe we will win the lottery and be able to hire a nanny....

Janet said...

Ooooh I totally recorded it but haven't seen it yet, glad to hear you liked it. I think the concept of marriages around the world is really cool.