Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Flourless Chocolate Cookies

By popular demand ::cough:: Waspy Redhead ::cough: I give you the fruits of my labor Sunday morning.  Something that I served at a dinner party that night that was described as "like a brownie cookie".  Something that I will be adding walnuts to next go around.
 
My love affair with these cookies began one shiny day in the pastry section of Central Market (and this recipe is from the CM website).  Many days were spent examining the cookies, pouring over the ingredient labels when I bought them, tasting and pondering how the heck they achieved their unique texture.  So, if you see them at the CM near you, buy some, but if that's not an option, without further ado, I give you, the next best thing:
  • 4 Oz Godiva Semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped in my food processor (CM recipe calls for Abuela Mexican chocolate, no clue what that is and HEB didn't have that, so I went the Godiva option)
  • 3 Cups Confectioners Sugar
  • 1/2 Cup + 3 Tbs Unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/4 Tsp Salt
  • 4 Large Egg Whites at Room Temp
  • 1 Tsp of cinnamon, that was just something I added on a whim, not sure that it made much of an impact
Cooking Instructions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Position 2 racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.


Mix the confectioners' sugar with the cocoa powder, Godiva chocolate and salt. Add the egg whites and stir until the batter is moistened. Spoon the batter onto two baking sheets in 12 evenly spaced mounds.

Bake the cookies for about 10 minutes then rotate the pans from the top shelf to the bottom and turn from front to back. Continue cooking another 10 minutes until the cookies feel firm to the touch.

Slide the parchment paper off the baking sheet and onto 2 wire racks. Allow cookies to cool completely before serving.

Keep these in an airtight container for up to 3 days.  The taste and texture just aren't as good after that point.

2 comments:

Miss M! said...

Mexican chocolate has a very different texture and flavor than regular chocolate - it's harder and contains cinnamon. It's what they use for Mexican Hot Chocolate which is SO GOOD. If you can find it, I'd recommend making your cookies again with it so you can taste the difference. http://www.mexgrocer.com/2550.html

(personally, I like the Ibarra brand better than the Abuelita)

Chelsea Talks Smack said...

.....ooo....I want to make these :)