Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Weekend Recap

Been a while since I've done one of these!  This weekend was glorious because it was my first free weekend at home in a month.  Three weekends ago, had to work all weekend.  Two weekends ago, Vegas (yeah I'm a little behind on the blogging, but I'm catching up).  Last weekend was ACL (post to come).  So this is the first weekend in a month's time that I've had all to myself.  It was really nice to feel BORED for a change.  We've had such a fun few weeks, but it's been a whirlwind lately and it was nice to kick back.

Friday
I came home  from work and took a nap.  I used to be in the habit of going to the gym Fridays after work but lately work's been so exhausting that I've been coming home and having to take a nap before I can do anything Friday nights.  I cooked us some yummy Hungry Girl crab cakes for dinner, then we made a Sonic run and went over to Christine and Parker's place to watch The Shining.  I've never seen it, I'm not big on scary movies, but this was right up my alley.  I don't like the stabby gorefests, but I like me some Kubrick.

Saturday
We had some work done to our house, we had extra insulation added and the whole thing weather stripped and had our air ducts taped to improve our home's energy efficiency.  There are lots of rebates from Austin Energy, Texas Gas, and the federal government to make these sorts of improvements.  And now's a great time to do this since the federal tax credits run out at the end of this year.  While they were working I whipped up a batch of Pumpkin Butter and put up our Halloween decorations.  Next I got my flu shot and then I picked up a couple new Halloween decorations and did our grocery shopping.  My sister-in-law had a baby two weeks ago so while I was watching the UT game (holla flat screen in my kitchen!) I whipped up a batch of my mushroom and asparagus risotto.  We also brought over some huge juicy steaks, salad, and cookies and served them a feast while the little tyke slept and we watched UT redeem themselves.  Then we went home and took the pooches for a walk and called it an early night.

Sunday
We woke up and headed to Opal Divine's Marina for some brunch with the hubs.  We took Ginger with us, they brought us a water dish full of ice cubes, her favorite.  She was a very good girl except for when she kept trying to jump up and sit on the picnic table in the seat next to me.  We came home and I worked in the yard and in my garden for a bit and cleaned off the patio.  Then I whipped up a batch of my famous chili and some Halloween cupcakes, most of which will go to the office with me tomorrow, but I saved us about half a dozen.  Finally we did our chores and hobbies (blogging, ironing, Shutterfly photobook making) while watching Crazy Heart.  It was good, Jeff Bridges totally deserved best actor.  I cannot get over how beautiful the scenery is in this movie, but then again I've always been partial to desert-esque landscapes.  Good way to end the weekend!

2 comments:

Janet said...

So nice to have a nothing-planned, low-key weekend! I love all of the Halloween things - very fun.

We need to catch up, let's do HH soon!

Jill said...

those are the best weekends, especially after so many hectic ones. also i wish i had you here on the lazy weekends. we just grill and order pizza. you "whipped up" approximately 86 recipes so i'm jealous.