Monday, November 7, 2011

Halfway Done!

Here's a photo after a very large meal at Eddie V's to celebrate D's birthday last weekend at just under 20 weeks.  I'm calling it my 20 week photo since I was super duper full, I probably look bigger :).

Never a dull moment around here, last week I started having chest pains, upper back pains, heartburn, and a shooting pain down my left arm.  Yes, I'm way too young to have a heart attack, but the symptoms were too textbook to ignore, so off we went to the ER at 4 AM.  Sidenote, if you have to go to the ER, 4 AM is THE time to do it, especially on an early Wednesday morning.  It was totally dead, we got right in and were on our way home by 6:30 AM after I had been thoroughly checked and cleared for heart problems, pulmonary embolism, and preeclampsia.  The final verdict, chest pains were from all the vomiting I've been doing lately.  Allow me to explain.

In my first trimester, I had terrible morning sickness from week 6 on.  Then around week 16, things started to look up.  I finally started to feel like my old self again.  I was no longer gagging and dry heaving 7 to 8 times a day.  Despite the barfing in Target incident around week 12 or 13 followed by a prenatal vitamin on an empty stomach (my bad), no real vomiting. 

After my dinner with Darryl at Eddie V's we came home fairly stuffed.  I had eaten less than D, but if you hear him tell it, this whole thing resulted from my overeating.  We were in the middle of watching a movie on the couch when I jumped up and ran to the bathroom and proceeded to vomit up an obscenely expensive seafood dinner.  Have you ever vomited lobster and king crab legs?  It's tragic.  I whimpered a lot. 

After that, I noticed I really wasn't hungry much and that my nausea wasn't related to my having an empty stomach the way it was earlier in my pregnancy.  Sure I had some awesome days with no nausea but then I'd have a day where I found myself staring at my computer monitor at work, jaw clenched, unable to focus on anything other than NOT PUKING (which I did).  I even resorted to running out of my office mid morning, driving 3 miles home, and coming crashing into the guest bathroom much to the dogs' bewilderment to get on all fours and puke in the comfort of my own home.  I'd finally had enough.

The hospital wrote me a prescription for anti-nausea meds and some serious pain killers for the chest pain.  Besides the nurse administered pain meds in the ER, I haven't touched them since, I hate the way they make me feel, but I did see my OB today and got him to extend my nausea meds, which he had no problem with and even encouraged.

So far I've gained 15 pounds, which is nothing to sneeze at and is a pound or two more than I should weigh right now, but considering I didn't gain any weight from last month to this month, probably attributable to my eating issues, I'm not worried about it.  I'd rather have 2 pounds to spare than feel totally queasy while trying to shovel more food in my gullet.

Now I'm just going to get plenty of rest, enjoy my new medication, and make wise eating choices with a few splurges here and there, my love for cheese and other dairy products during this pregnancy knows no bounds, so I'm just going with it, especially since I need the calcium.

While this is totally worth it and I will gladly do this again, I had no idea how sick I would be (don't freak out if you haven't had kids yet, most women don't have these problems).  I basically feel like I've had the flu for the last 5 months.  It's this kind of feeling that makes the scariest parts of labor seem like a walk in the park because it will mean the beginning of my body feeling back to normal.  Plus, I can't wait to meet our little girl!  I want her to grow to full term and arrive healthy, but I still wish she was here today to snuggle with and spoil! 

2 comments:

Christine said...

You look so cute in this picture!

Marsha said...

I came across your blog, and it caught my attention mainly the pregnancy at the time was pregnant as well. I want to let you know I just had my 2nd baby and the saying is so true that each is different, my fist a girl I had morning sickness till about 10 weeks it would last all morning then around 11 it was gone. With my second a boy, I had really bad morning sickness taking care of a 2 1/2 year old and could barely get out of bed. Was on the meds till around week 24 or so. Good luck