Saturday, October 17, 2009

Success At Last!

Since Darryl's been in China, I've had a string of cooking debacles that I choked down, but left me queasy and suffering from indigestion well after the fact. Finally, just when I was ready to turn in my whisk, today I had 2 great successes. First, Christine came over to watch the TX/OU game. I made a healthy white bean and garlic dip, served with baked tostitos. Here's what you do:

Take 2 cans of Great North Beans, wash and drain. Roast 1 head of garlic (375 degrees, 30 min covered in foil, then 30 uncovered, chop the top 3rd off, drizzle oil on top). Add beans, roasted garlic, juice from 1 lemon, salt, pepper, and 3 tablespoons of olive oil into a food processor until smooth. We devoured a whole bowl of it, best part, it was low in fat and loaded in protein.

Tonight I dabbled in making what I consider to be the greatest grilled cheese sandwich ev-er. First, chop a quarter of a red onion into slices. Caramelize in a little olive oil (with salt and pepper) over medium high heat for 10 minutes. Lay out 2 slices of wheat bread (I used Orowheat Health Nut). Layer one slice of cheddar, top with hot onions, cover with a slice of pepper jack. On the other side, spread half an avocado and top with slices of beefsteak tomato. Wipe out your onion saute pan, spray with Pam, set heat to medium-low, add sandwich back to the pan, weigh down with a sauce pan. Let it grill for 5 min, then flip and repeat.

I got the inspiration for both of these recipes from Ellie Krieger's Cookbook, The Foods You Crave. It was so good, that my dogs ate it while I was at the store buying groceries Friday night.

No comments: