Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Ellie Krieger's Oven Fried Chicken

Ingredients
1/2 sleeve (about 20) whole-grain salted crackers, pulsed in a food processor until fine (about 1/2 cup) (I forgot this ingredient so I used Panko bread crumbs instead)
2 1/2 cups corn cereal flakes, pulsed in a food processor to fine crumbs (about 1/2 cup)
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 egg whites
1 cup lowfat, plain yogurt
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
Olive oil cooking spray
4 medium sized skinless chicken breasts and 4 skinless chicken thighs, rinsed and patted dry (about 3 1/2 pounds chicken)

Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly spray a baking sheet with olive oil.
Combine the crackers and corn cereal crumbs, sesame seeds, cayenne, and garlic powder in a shallow bowl. Reserve.
In a large bowl, combine egg whites, yogurt, Dijon mustard, and salt. Add the chicken pieces and coat thoroughly with the yogurt mixture.
One at a time, dip the chicken pieces in the cracker mixture, packing crumbs onto chicken. Arrange the chicken on a baking sheet and spray lightly with olive oil cooking spray.
Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until juices run clear when chicken is pierced with a knife.

I served this with a side salad with light ranch dressing and sliced tomatoes from my garden. I also bought the prebagged green beans, steamed them in the microwave in the bag, and then tossed them with a tiny bit of EVOO, garlic powder, salt and pepper. It was a little bit of heaven. I'm not optimistic at how this will reheat tomorrow at work, but I'm hoping I'll be so starving post swim that I won't notice. Darryl is polishing the meal off with some of my homemade ice cream. That meal definately scratched my itch for some fried chicken, crazy tasty!

On the menu tomorrow night, grilled port tenderloin with a side of cous cous. Then I'm out of the kitchen for the rest of the week.

4 comments:

Amanda @ Bits & Pieces said...

You've got to try this Honey-Hoison Pork recipe, it's to die for (and from Cooking Light!)

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1108243

Christy said...

yum! I've kinda been craving fried chicken, but I dare not venture into kfc or some other grease-laden joint. gonna have to try this recipe!

Amanda @ Bits & Pieces said...

Yes, you will for sure! I had never had pork tenderloin before and someone made that recipe at a dinner party... delish!

Enginerd said...

you always post super delicious recipes and i always want to partake. but then i end up making something lame like corndogs because i don't have the patience or skill. i wish i was as domestic as you.