Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Not Your Mamma's Grilled Cheese-Weight Watchers Wednesday

Here is another recipe post in which I gobble up the food so fast that I forget to take a picture, fail.  But stay with me folks, this is a fancy pants way to make an old favorite, grilled cheese and tomato soup! 

First I made Gina's Tomato Bisque.  I didn't have fresh tomatoes but I used canned San Marzano whole tomatoes.  Here's a tip, if you don't have an immersion blender, you can blend your soups in your regular blender in batches but DO NOT put the little clear plastic circle piece in the middle of the lid.  Instead fold a dish cloth and hold it over the hole.  If you fail to do this with a hot liquid I guarantee the whole thing will overflow out. 

So while my bisque was simmering, I got to work on my grilled cheese.  First I sauteed half a vidalia onion using Pam and 1/4 cup of apple cider for about 8 minutes on medium heat until the onions were nice and caramelized, throw in a sprinkle of salt.  Next I took some Orowheat Health Nut bread.  Another tip, we don't go through loafs of bread before they mold, so I keep ours in the freezer.  Then when I want a slice I pop them into our fancy toaster we got for our wedding (that I thought I'd never use, who knew?) and hit the defrost button and bam, room temperature bread in a jiffy and no more waste or mold!

Back to the recipe, so I took half the caramelized onion and put it on one half of the bread and the other half I put a layer of brie (I had to cite other occasions where Darryl had eaten brie to convince him he'd like it).  On top of the brie I put some thin slices of Granny Smith apple.  On Darryl's, I put 2 slices of low fat honey ham, because he's a big fan of meat.

Next I crammed the whole operation into this sandwich toaster that Darryl brought when he moved in.  I've been trying to get rid of it for over a year now (Darryl keeps catching me, he watches that thing like a HAWK), but after tonight I am somewhat convinced of its usefulness.  Also good in this situation, a George Forman grill with the bottom propped up so it's level (but I gave ours to Goodwill).  Panini makers are such a rip off, you can totally hack something in your kitchen for your sandwich making domination.  So of course all this sammy goodness wouldn't fit in the machine, so I made Darryl come and hold it/cram it shut until the toasting cycle was complete.  Then voila, grilled brie with caramelized onions and green apples (and ham in some cases).  Very fancy, very french and only 6 points (minus the ham).  The soup is only 2 points for two whole cups a serving.  Darryl couldn't believe how big of a bowl I gave him and said he liked it better than his favorite roasted red tomato soup I make for him.  AND I managed to have the whole operation on the table ready to eat in less than an hour.


4 comments:

Amanda @ Bits & Pieces said...

I love me some tomato bisque and can't wait to try this recipe. Yum!

Ellen and Bill said...

You can also use the machine for making pizza sandwiches. Put pizza dough on the bottom, fill it with mozzarella, pizza sauce and whatver you like on your pizza and then put pizza dough on the top. Comes out like Calzones!!

Kate said...

Um that sounds soooo yummy. We have a MASSIVE panini press / indoor grill from the ol' registry and I rue the day I chose to keep it... it is heavy, takes up half of an entire cabinet, and is impossible to clean. My ancient George Foreman would do this bitch's job just fine... grrrrr.

Miss M! said...

Oh my goodness - you just described my FAVORITE sandwich ever, but I've never had it with the addition of onions!

Now I want a sammich machine. I made mine in the George Foreman!