Tuesday, August 9, 2011

How To Tuesday: Agua Frescas

I've been playing around a lot lately with agua frescas. It started when I had a big quarter of a watermelon and didn't know what to do with it. Today I decided to play with cantaloupe. The process is the same for each kind of melon but both yield refreshing results.
First I chopped up 2 peeled canteloupes into chunks to the top of the blender. Then I filled the blender half way with water.

Next I blended it to a nice puree and then strained it into my pitcher. When doing this with watermelon I picked the seeds out at first, then decided to just blend it all together and it worked out fine. Next I squeezed the juice of 2 limes into the pitcher, added about 1/4 cup of sugar (you could also use a basil or mint simple syrup). I only had to add a couple tablespoons of sugar to my watermelon agua fresca since it was so sweet, but I had to add more to my cantaloupe. Next I added about 1-2 more cups of cold water until my pitcher was full (not rocket science, just keep tasting and filling the pitcher). Voila! Ice cold refreshing agua frescas that are a great way to start your morning on a 107 degree day!

No comments: