Sunday, September 25, 2011

I Would Like to Eject From This Vomit Comet, Please

Thanks to everyone for all your sweet comments on my last post, we are so thrilled at our new addition!  However, growing the little guy or gal is proving to be a bit more taxing than I had anticipated.  Since week 6, like clockwork, morning sickness kicked in.  Most of my female relatives didn't have much morning sickness to speak of (or they suffer from amnesia) so I wasn't really worried about it.  Prior to that, I started to feel mild queasiness around meal times and it was easily managed by having a snack to calm my stomach.  I didn't have much of an appetite, I had some food aversions, but no big deal. 

After week 6, "morning sickness for realz" kicked in.  Weeks 6-13 were nauseous in the mornings, some days were worse than others but most were manageable with a little help from the hubs bringing me cereal in bed before I got up and a cup of mint tea.  I dry heaved and gagged around meal times (you know when your dog starts to gag and dry heave on your carpet but is suddenly okay?  I sound EXACTLY like that about 7 times a day) or any time my blood sugar got too low, but I kept thinking hey, it's week 13, this is going to disappear any second now, as my doctor promised "one day you're going to wake up and feel just like your old self". 

So Friday I woke up and felt pretty good.  I thought, maybe this is it!  I got through it without actually vomiting!  Saturday proved me wrong.  Near misses trying on maternity clothes with my mom at Macy's but I survived.  However I wasn't so lucky in the dressing room at Target later that evening.  I made it to the front of the dressing room area and (thankyouJeusus) found a trash can and unloaded in front of a half dozen or so horrified bystanders, of course vomiting in my hair and all over the shirt I was trying on (guess who is the owner of a new maternity shirt).  I announced to my audience that I didn't have the flu and that it was morning sickness and could someone please get me a tissue.  The clerk was super sweet about it and got me something to clean up with and kept insisting I didn't HAVE to buy the shirt (trust me people, I did) and even offered me a trash bag to take back with me if I felt like I needed to throw up again (it was a sweet offer, but after that incident, I pretty much threw my clothes back on, gathered my purchases and got the ef out). I seriously need to write that Target a note about how the clerk was super sweet about the whole thing.  I wanted to die.

So Here's a List of Things That Make Me Want to Vom (Some of this is TMI but I threw up in a Target this week, this shit got real)
  • Fish
  • Sushi
  • Brushing my teeth
  • Using mouthwash
  • Walking from the car to a building in the heat
  • Watching a kayaker paddle by while sitting on a park bench (it looked hard, made me want to barf)
  • Talking about food
  • ACL Fest
  • Trying on clothes
  • Dressing rooms
  • Raw chicken
  • Raw beef
  • Smokey flavors on foods
  • Pooping
  • Lean Cuisines (I literally cannot look directly at them)
  • Many aisles of the grocery store
  • Grocery shopping in general
  • Showering in any position except sitting down at the bottom of the tub
  • Cajun food
  • Hamburger helper
Things I Have Tried to Alleviate the Nausea
  • Accupressure
  • Ginger caplets
  • Candied ginger
  • Ginger snaps
  • Ginger tea
  • Saltines
  • Mint tea
  • Tums
  • Eating something before I get out of bed
This could potentially last me 2 more weeks....or (groan) the remainder of my pregnancy if I'm extra unlucky.  Totally a worth while sacrifice for our little bean, but if I woke up tomorrow and didn't want to barf, pretty sure I'd weep with joy. 

5 comments:

Elaine said...

This sounds all too familiar...perhaps you are having a girl? Only time will tell.
With R I did wake up one day and feel normal (after about 15 weeks of puking my brains out daily), with P it was a very gradual decline in sickness that lasted until about 20 weeks...but even after that meat (raw or cooked) and several other things made me want to hurl until the little darling was expelled from my system. I feel your pain--best of luck.

Janet said...

Vomming in the Target, that's hot ;-) You have tried about everything I would recommend, I'll ask my hippie mom if she knows of anything.

voip services said...

This sounds all too familiar,I feel your pain--best of luck.

The Waspy Redhead said...

Sorry you're not feeling well friend - permanent or longterm nausea cant be fun.

Christine said...

I love you...