Thursday, January 8, 2009

Beef, It's What's For Dinner

Here's a couple little tips ladies, first, if you live near a Central Market, get signed up for their coupon mailings. I FINALLY got my first round of coupons this week and got 1 lb of chicken breast and a tortilla soup kit for FREE. Next week I get like $10 in free produce, another week I get $10 in flowers, etc. It's a little slice of heaven I plan on using all the time. I know about this largely because of Kristen at Life in the Mozart State and her hubby.

Secondly, let's talk beef. While I've rarely met a steak I didn't like, I have a real fondness for the petite fillet. According to the butcher folk at CM, the fillet mignon is essentially a slice of the beef tenderloin. Either way, those babies sell for like $35 a pound. My little trick is buying a piece of the tenderloin tip, which usually gets me a very satisfying cut for around $10. It's a bit tricky to cook since the thickness is a little uneven, but it can be done.

Today I picked up 3 tip pieces, one for me, 2 for Darryl and came home, seasoned each side with fresh ground pepper and sea salt. Then I placed them in a very hot pan with a bit of olive oil and seared each side for about 2 minutes. Then I moved the pan into a 350 degree oven for about 7 minutes, this amount of time can be adjusted according to how done you like your meat, but 130 degrees = medium rare. Just accept the fact that your steak will be cooked a bit unevenly, due to the shape of the tenderloin tip. We had a fillet mignon dinner at home for under $18 bucks. Just deal with the skinny end being a bit more done and focus on the thicker end.

To go with this, I made mashed sweet potatoes, salads, and a Gorgonzola, shallot, mushroom sauce. Not super diety, but if used sparingly as a condiment to the steak, not too damaging to the diet either. I served my fillets with my new favorite red, Estancia's Pinot Noir.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

You little maven of the kitchen you! Sounds yummy.