Monday, July 5, 2010

Kitchen Before And Afters

Here you have it, the befores and afters of the first phase of our kitchen remodel.  Next on the agenda is some plumbing tweaks on our refrigerator water line and the delivery of our new counter depth stainless steel side by side refrigerator.  Darryl also surprised me with a new TV that he will mount on the wall so I can keep up with my shows while embarking on long cooking projects or just plug my iPod in (so long CD boombox).  Finally, by the end of the month we're going to scrape down the popcorn ceiling, repaint, and replace the heinous fan in the breakfast nook with a nice modern fixture to bring it in line with the new look of our new modern kitchen.

We decided not to replace the countertops, instead we're going to try and repair some of the blemishes ourselves.  I think the high gloss white laminate contributes to the ultra modern feel.  Darryl also was super handy and installed undercabinet lighting.  I cannot sing the praises of that enough, do it, it's probably my favorite thing about the kitchen besides not having my drawers fall apart every time I pull out a fork.  Also very much looking forward to having greater freezer capacity.  I've always wanted to make things like casseroles ahead and keep them in the freezer for a rainy day/day that I don't feel like cooking.  A lot of pasta dishes can be popped directly into the oven frozen and baked.  How awesome would it be to come home from work and do that?  Plus our new fridge has a wine rack and a can rack so I think that'll help us stay organized. 

I'm not going to lie, this kitchen project has been exhausting physically, emotionally, and financially, but while the kitchen isn't huge, I can't wait to have a beautiful new kitchen to entertain in when it's done!

9 comments:

Emily @ Longley's in San Diego said...

It looks awesome!

Miss M! said...

It looks good! I like the dark finish you selected and the hardware sets it off perfectly.

Tiffany said...

Looks great! I can't imagine all of the work that goes into re-doing a kitchen. Those HGTV people always make it seem so easy!

♥mily said...

looks good.
http://justmycrazyboringlife.blogspot.com/

Amber and Trey Collins said...

Looks really good!

Amber and Trey Collins said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Waspy Redhead said...

Looks so great friend! Congratulations!

Janet said...

Very cool - congrats on a project well done! Can't wait to see it in person :-)

Tiffany said...

I left an award for you on my blog :)