Sunday, July 10, 2011

Kate Middleton Costume Tutorial

I went to a costume party this weekend, no real theme except for a "Halloween in July" kind of thing.  It was actually neat to have something to dress up for at an odd time of the year.  I was so pleased with how my costume turned out, so I thought I'd share it with y'all!

I tried to channel what Kate wore in her engagement announcement press conference with some of the outfits she's been wearing as she toured North America.  First I paired a Banana Republic grey wrap dress with some Ralph Lauren black round toe pumps (not pictured).  I have a silver Tiffany & Co. "k" initial charm that I wore around my neck.  I totally lucked out by going into Sam Moon and finding an EXCELLENT replica of her sapphire ring for $12.  It's so pretty, going to be hard to not wear it to work or something as an accessory, ha.  I work with a lot of dudes so I doubt anyone will notice.  I had been watching YouTube tutorials and was planning on making my own red fascinator out of cloth and feathers but I found these big great hair "flowers" at Sam Moon.  I went for the biggest, gaudiest option.

Finally, I finished off the outfit by picking up a bottle of cava and brought my own champagne flute which I sipped throughout the party (I love the taste of champagne but I suppose you could pour any cocktail in there).  I topped it off with a black faux snake skin clutch from Old Navy that I already had.  I did my hair in big loose curls, lots of dramatic eye liner on the eyes, contoured my cheek bones with bronzer, and applied a nude lipstick and gloss.

No comments: